Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Coconut Berry Chia Seed "Healthy" Muffins

My package of health-food items came in the mail, FINALLY! Today I made some Coconut-Berry Chia seed muffins. 




This recipe has NO white flour, no refined sugar, no dairy, no gluten, but, SERIOUSLY, it tastes as good as a regular blueberry muffin. 

I used the model of recipe on the back of the Nutiva Coconut Flour bag,) and made my own version. 

Here are a list of the ingredients...

  • 1 c. coconut flour
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 c. coconut sugar
  • 1 tsp. coconut oil (for greasing tins)
  • 1 1/4 c. coconut cream (see a pattern?)
  • 6 eggs
  • 4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 4 tbls. chia seeds
  • 1 c. berries


*This would yield about 12 muffins, but I baked the 2nd half in a cake tin. Turns out, cake tins are a lot easier to clean... 



Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine dry ingredients; coconut flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Whisk well to make sure there are no chunks of coconut flour. (WARNING: the scent this coconut flour may make you believe you just magically transported to a tropical island)


In a separate bowl or blender, combine coconut sugar, coconut milk, eggs, and vanilla. (That coconut sugar looks like brown sugar, but doesn't do the damage to your blood sugar... And it smells AWESOME!)


Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mix well. 


Mix in the 4 tablespoons of chia seeds. (My measuring cup was dirty, so I used my measuring eyeballs)


Fold in the berries. (I would suggest not 'folding' the berries in with a whisk... there's always a new lesson to be learn in the kitchen)
Grease the tin with the coconut oil. Pour mixture into tin and bake for about 30 minutes, or into batter is cooked through. Let cool for 15 minutes before eating. I first tried making muffins, but the tin was so hard to clean after the first batch, I just used the cake tin to bake the rest of the batter. I also cheated a lit with the 2nd half and added 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips. And I can tell you, dark chocolate + coconut = happy mouths. 




BOOM! It's pretty crazy to think this stuff won't even spike your blood sugar. WHAT?



No comments:

Post a Comment